This is one of my favourite comfort foods and it’s super easy to throw together, making it even more appealing. Traditionally this can be quite unhealthy with a lot of battered, cheesy chicken, but this is a healthier take on it. Although it’s still got to have the cheese!
Arrabiata sauce is easily found at your local supermarket and I highly recommend it for this dish, especially the chilli version. It’s not super spicy at all (little grub eats this dish with no problem and actually really likes it) but adds that extra bit of kick and flavour without the effort.
I served this over a kumara, courgette and pea mash (just steam or boil everything together, starting with the kumara, then add the courgette and peas towards the end) and a few dinner rolls for hubby and I was asked to “definitely make this again.” Grub got this for dinner the next day and literally shovelled it down. That was all the confirmation I needed to put this in the mix of dinner dishes on rotation.
I hope you guys enjoy this!
- Olive oil for frying
- 1kg chicken thighs
- 400gm crushed and sieved tomatoes
- 400gm bottle of Barilla Pasta Sauce Arrabiata Chilli
- Handful of fresh basil
- ½ cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- 25gm softened butter
- Preheat your oven to 180c
- Heat a little oil in a pan over medium heat and brown the chicken thighs for a few minutes on both sides
- Place the arrabiata sauce on the bottom of a deep baking dish and nestle the chicken thighs in the sauce.
- Rip the basil leaves and sprinkle over the chicken and then cover with the can of crushed and sieved tomatoes
- Mix the grated cheese and breadcrumbs in a separate bowl and chop the butter in to little pieces. Mix the butter in to the breadcrumb and cheese.
- Sprinkle the cheese and breadcrumb mix over the tomato sauce
- Bake in the oven for around 25 – 30mins or until the chicken is cooked