Winter fruits are pretty boring. Apples, pears, kiwifruit and citrus with bananas being available all year round. There’s certainly no poached nectarine and apricot going around in our house.
If you’re looking for an easy way to spice up some pear puree, this will do the trick. It’s pretty quick too and you could even do it with apples as well.
- 2 bosc pears
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- peel the pears, slice in to quarters and cut out the core
- place them in a pot with enough water to come up to half-way of covering the pears (no need to completely submerge them)
- add the vanilla and cinnamon, cover and simmer the pears for about 5 minutes, then turn them over for another 5 minutes or until soft.
- Remove pears from the pot and puree, including 1 or 2 tbsp of the juices
- Freeze or keep in an air tight container for a few days in the fridge